Monday, July 29, 2013

Arroz con leche!



Growing up my mom would make rice pudding [Arroz con leche in 'Cuban'] a few times a year.
The smell of cinnamon sticks and lemon peel boiling in the milk would fill the air.




This provided such a sweet, comforting feeling.
In need of some of that lovely comfort, I went to my mom's today and we made this delicious treat together. It was nice helping her make it and learning all the little tricks that go into making it so special.
Of course, this also provided an opportunity for some food-tography. Find the recipe below, Enjoy!



What you need:

3 cups of valencia rice
6 cups of water
1 can of condensed milk
1 can of evaporated milk
2 tbs vanilla extract
1/3 gallon of milk
1 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
3 anise (whole)
lemon peel (about 2")
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt




How to make it:

Rinse the rice.
Cook the rice in the 6 cups of water by first bringing it to a boil, then simmering for about 30 min.
The rice will be soft but not cooked all the way through yet.
Add the milk(s), stir. Add the remaining ingredients, stir.
Simmer on low heat for 45 minutes, stirring often to avoid any sticking.
You'll start noticing the consistency getting thicker. Remove from heat and let cool.

I prefer my 'arroz con leche' cold or at room temperature with a little ground cinnamon on top.
¡Buen provecho!


[Love you mom]

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Sooooo yummy. This was my favorite homemade childhood dessert and I have never been as satisfied with any store bought "arroz con leche". Thanks for the recipe, although I am lazy perhaps I can get someone to make it for me :) Some things are just better appreciated when someone else makes it for you, you know? Great photography. I can almost smell that cinnamon in the air, yumm...

    ReplyDelete